Suppose you have a Delphi application that access data using the Borland Database Engine (BDE) and you wish to deploy it on a user's client computer. If you compile the project without runtime packages and no BDE support is required, then merely copying the EXE file on the target computer is usually enough.
Now installing BDE on a client computer is performed as follows :
Locate the file
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Borland Shared\BDE.
- Open it using winZip or something equivalant.
- The .cab file contains only one file BDEINST.DLL. Extract this to the users client computer.
Use the command
regsvr32.exe bdeinst.dllfrom the command prompt to perform the installation.
- Run your application
BDE un-installation can be performed by folloowing these steps :
- Delete the folder containing BDE data
- Delete the BDEADMIN.CPL file in the Wiindows\System folder, in order to get rid of the control file applet
Use regedit in order to delete the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Borlandand delete the subkeys
- Reboot your machine
Note : Having said all that I would like to give you an extract from the file bdedeploy.txt located at the BDE installation directory.
2. BORLAND-CERTIFIED INSTALLATION PROGRAMS =========================================================== Borland products which include redistribution rights include an Borland-certified install program, such as InstallShield Express, to ensure proper installation and uninstallation of your applications so that they co-exist well with other applications which use the Borland Database Engine (BDE) including those created with Visual dBASE, Paradox, Delphi, and C++Builder. Borland has also provided BDE and SQL Links installation information to other install vendors such as Sax Software, WISE Software, Great Lakes Business Systems (GLBS) makers of the WISE install tool and Eschalon Development so that their products can also be ensured to be fully compatible with the BDE. From time to time, Borland Software Corporation may, at its discretion, certify additional installation programs for use as the Borland Certified Install Program for this product. Also check the Borland-sponsored announcement newsgroups: news:borland.public.announce news:borland.public.bde 3. BDE DEPLOYMENT (ALL DATABASE APPLICATIONS) =========================================================== 3.1 Deploying the BDE --------------------- A Borland-certified installation program provides all needed functionality and steps for redistributing the Borland Database Engine (BDE), including: * Selecting files to redistribute * Determining final directory locations * Comparing versions of BDE files * Creation of BDE aliases Follow the instructions of the particular installation program used for specific steps to create an installation program that includes the BDE.